Whenever we do family dinners at my house, I always volunteer to make dessert (unsurprisingly). However, I also live with a couple of health nuts, so my sweets usually go untouched unless I bring them to work or club meetings. Last weekend, I attempted to make something sweet and healthy. Although I found several nutritious sorbet recipes, these mini cheesecake tarts really spoke to me.
If you slap fruit on top, it’s healthy, right?
Luckily, these petite desserts were a hit and can easily be made in under an hour. My favorite part about the recipe was making the shortbread “cups”. All you have to do is fill the bottoms of an entire standard size muffin tin and bake them for about 10 minutes. Once baked, slightly indent each muffin tin using the back of a tablespoon, carefully creating a shortbread vessel for a filling of your choice. The original recipe called for a lemon curd-based cream. I ended up making a simple cheesecake filling since it only calls for 3 ingredients that can be easily found in most kitchens.
- Muffin tin
- If you do not have piping bags or decorating tips, spoon the cheesecake filling into a sandwich bag with a corner cut off.
- For shortbread crust...
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- For cheesecake filling...
- 8 ounces softened cream cheese
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- various berries for garnish (strawberries, blueberries, pomegranates)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F
- Using your hands, mix butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar and flour together in a large bowl
- Chill mixture for 10 minutes
- Place 1-1 1/2" balls of batter into greased muffin tin, making sure to form the dough to cover the bottom of each space
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, but start keeping an eye on shortbread after about 9 minutes
- Once slightly golden brown, remove from oven and use tablespoon to create bowl indentations in each shortbread and let cool completely
- In a separate bowl, mix softened cream cheese, confectioners' sugar, and vanilla extract with an electric stand mixer for 2 minutes
- Spoon filing into piping bag and pipe into cooled shortbread shells
- Optional: garnish with fruit